Progestogen only pill
- Periods may be irregular – more or less frequent or stop or become lighter or heavier
- May help with premenstrual symptoms or painful periods
- Suitable for those who can’t take oestrogen or the combined pill
- You don’t have to prepare for or interrupt sex
- You are protected from pregnancy straight away if you start taking it on the first day of your period
- When you stop using the pill your fertility will return to normal.
The progestogen-only pill (also known as ‘POP’) is a small round tablet that releases a progestogen hormone. It has to be taken daily. Almost half of all women take oral contraceptive pills as their primary method of contraception. POP is most popular amongst women aged between 16 and 24.
*for typical use (effectiveness for perfect use 99%)
**very variable, heavier or lighter